Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A perfectly easy cake

I like dessert, and I prefer that it be easy to make. My grandma sent me this recipe a few months ago for a quick chocolate cake. When I told her how much we (and our friends) have enjoyed it, she mentioned that there were several cake variations based on the chocolate version. We haven't tried the Oatmeal-Molasses cake yet, but grandma says it's the best! I can say that it doesn't take long for the chocolate cake and applesauce cake to disappear.

Chocolate Snack Cake
1 2/3 C flour (I use about half whole wheat)
1 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C cocoa
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 C water
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 t vinegar
1/2 t vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake 35 - 40 minutes in an ungreased 8 x 8 inch pan. Variations: Dust with powdered sugar after baking or before baking sprinkle with 1/2 C chocolate chips.

Applesauce Snack Cake:
Omit cocoa and vanilla. Mix 1 1/2 t ground allspice into flour mixture. Decrease water to 1/2 C and stir in 1/2 C applesauce. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or try a dollop of cool whip.

Oatmeal - Molasses Snack Cake:
Omit cocoa and vanilla. Mix 3/4 C quick-cooking oats, 1/2 C raisins and 1 t ground allspice into flour.

No comments: