Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sweet little cupcakes



Have I mentioned that I like knitting? My grandma taught me to knit when I was in elementary school, but I didn't make much besides a few dishcloths until I went to college and took a couple classes through the campus craft shop. After I made two and a half pairs of socks, I threw in the towel and didn't knit much until Emily was about four months old. My mother-in-law is an avid knitter, and she helped me through a slipper pattern that had me perspiring as I tried to keep up, not lose my place, and pay attention to my baby.

I started checking out knitting books from the library and found them just as delightful as reading cookbooks (yes, I seriously like reading cookbooks). I found this blog in my search for knitting patterns and fell in love with Susan B. Anderson's cupcake hat. When I found out my best friend from college was having a girl I ordered everything I needed to make a hat and mittens for her little one and Emily. I've been a cupcake knitting maniac the last couple of months. Maybe that's why I haven't blogged. Emily has a set, two of my friends have a set, and one little one has a hat (I was in mitten rebellion at the time). I'll have to post a picture of my sweet, little cupcake in her hat soon!

This hat was knit with Swish DK yarn from KnitPicks. It includes some crocheting to make the cherry on top of the hat and the picot edge on the white portion of the cupcake. Emily's hat was the most difficult to make because I had to do four inches of ribbing to make the pink "wrapper." If you're a knitter, you know my pain!

No comments: