Sunday, August 10, 2008

Raspberry jam



There are a few things about raspberries that I truly enjoy. I love picking them at the end of the day when they are ripe and warm from the hot summer sun. I love watching Emily searching for raspberries in our raspberry patch and then working hard to pick everything she's found, ripe or not. And, I love spreading fresh raspberry jam on homemade bread.

Then, there's the fact that when I was around 8 weeks pregnant with Emily, James and I started calling her "Raspberry" because all of the pregnancy books said she looked like a raspberry around then. It's funny how pregnancy books always compare babies to fruit in the beginning. We even joked around about naming our little girl "Raspberry," which is cute, but we're not granola enough to try something like that.

It's nice that a simple, little fruit can rouse so many happy thoughts and memories.

1 comment:

Suzy A. said...

You have a raspberry patch? Ohhh I'm so jealous. They are by far my favorite berry. Did you plant them yourselves? How big is your patch and how long before you got fruit?