Thursday, August 28, 2008

Picking blackberries



I truly enjoy picking fresh fruits and vegetables. Maybe because growing up my family spent a lot of time going to orchards and getting apples, peaches, apricots, and cherries. When our family went camping we would look for wild blueberries and blackberries. I have a lot of great memories from those times.

Now, James and I have taken up the tradition. On Friday night James picked blackberries growing in a local subdivision (I was monitoring the little munchkin). Emily and I walked around the neighborhood enjoying the scent of ripe blackberries and finding little treasures (like bark chips and one little ant who almost lost his life).

We had enough berries to add to our Sunday morning buttermilk pancakes as well as a peach/blackberry cobbler. Thank you for picking the berries, James!

Note: The cobbler recipe does not call for blackberries, but they were a great addition!

No comments: