Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home-made ice cream



One of our most fun wedding presents was the my mom and dad's gift of an ice cream bowl attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. We've really enjoyed experimenting with it. I have to confess, we didn't use it at all last summer when Emily was little, but we've tried several recipes this summer. They all came from a Cooking Light magazine I found in the library's give-away bin. So far, we've tried:

1 - Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. This was not our favorite recipe. It was a bit too cheesy for us. :)

2 - Peach Ice Cream. Delicious! We loved that the serving size was relatively large (one cup). Don't we all eat that much ice cream in one sitting anyway? This recipe was full of fresh peaches, making it a little like a sorbet.

3 - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (minus the bean). I substituted pure vanilla extract, and the result is yummy. It's always fun to "dress up" vanilla ice cream with other toppings. Last night it was chocolate and caramel syrup and peanuts. I know the ice cream isn't as healthy after those additions, but it's okay once in a while. Tonight we'll try it with fresh blueberries!

No comments: