Friday, August 8, 2008

Garlic and Onions

"So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." ~ I Corinthians 3:7

Last fall I decided I would plant garlic and see what happened. I bought a head of garlic at Albertson's, broke it into cloves, and planted it about three inches apart, kind of mounding up the soil around it because I've heard that garlic likes "dry feet." It worked! I should have plenty of garlic to last us through the winter.

I also planted onions again this year. They're so easy and they also last well. I think I planted more onions last year, but I didn't have to buy onions until May or June this year. Yesterday I thinned my onions to give the remaining onions room to grow. I read in a fun book that you can braid onions and garlic, which makes them easy to hang and dry. Here's my attempt. (Note: I haven't french-braided hair, or any vegetables, for a few years!)

No comments: