Friday, September 19, 2008

Bagel Making 101 from a beginner

I discovered Tammy's blog a few months ago and loved it because, well, I love looking at recipes. I could read cookbooks and cooking magazines for hours. The only problem is that it frequently makes me hungry!

Tammy has instructions for making bagels on her blog, so I decided to give it a try. I love fresh bagels from a bagel shop, but we don't have any shops close to our home. So a bagel craving leads to a drive downtown and an overpriced, but delicious, bagel.



After making the dough, letting it rise, and then shaping the dough, I boiled each bagel for about 30 seconds.



Then the bagels needed to dry off for a while. Before baking, I brushed them with an egg wash and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on half of them (my favorite bagel at the bagel shop is cinnamon-sugar).



The finished product was tasty and I was very pleased that they looked like bagels! The only problem I had was that the bagels stuck to the baking sheet. Next time I think I will try lining the baking sheet with parchment paper. Although this recipe is somewhat time-intensive, it was worth the effort for this bagel fan.

No comments: