Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Margherita pizza



We've been getting more tomatoes from the garden, but since there aren't enough to can, we're trying to use them all fresh. If you're looking for a way to use your fresh tomatoes, this pizza is the way to go. A Margherita pizza is my favorite pizza to order at Italian restaurants, but last night was the first time we've made it at home.

I make my pizza dough in the breadmaker because it's easy and I don't have to pay attention to it. I usually use 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 white flour. 100% whole wheat pizzas don't get a good review in this household. I accidentally made one when Emily was a couple of months old, and it was a pizza we won't soon forget.

For the Margherita pizza, I made a simple pizza sauce and then layed the pizza with round slices of mozzerrella cheese. Then, I added a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes, followed my a layer of thinly sliced basil. Lastly, I drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled a clove of crushed garlic on top. It's a very simple meatless pizza with a lot of flavor. We liked it so much, I think we'll have it for dinner again this week!

No comments: